Sunday 13 December 2015

Come Winter

source

Cheers to the soft feathery winter clouds

Wrapping me up with their nippy breath

My burnt skin longs for their cool caress

And my eyes for the chrysanthemum smile

 

The sun’s tender downs with the silken touch

Apologize for the rough summer’s rage

I forgive, forget the haughty sun

While my ears catch the note of exotic birds

 

My Neem tree leaves bid me goodbye

Frogs and geckos’ eyes be heavy with sleep

Serpents are home with droopy eyes

Golden mustered field delightfully sways

 

Come winter, stay and before you part

Nurture and cool my burnt heart

 

 

Posted for Poetry Pantry #282 @ Poets United


 

15 comments:

  1. lovely sonnet, Sumana. delightful imagery.
    we don't have winter over here, but it's almost raining everyday these past weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burnt skin...burnt heart.. Nicely done with the change up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The closing lines are magical :D :D
    Beautifully rendered.


    Lots of love,
    Sanaa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh there is a heaven in your poetry today as you sing a song of winter....the ending lines are perfection and sing to me too!

    Donna@LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I just saw Old Man Winter smile. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those closing lines are perfection.......a wonderful poem, Sumana.

    ReplyDelete
  7. May your scorched heart be nurtured by a gentle and kind winter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your winter is so different from our winters.. I think I would love a little bit of your warmth.. a lovely sonnet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really like those final lines, they caught me unaware,

    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a great piece! I especially like that opening line... Cheers is such a nice way to start.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful poem about the inevitability of changing seasons. It reminded me of the poem by Ralph Hodgeson, "Time you old gypsy man will you not stay".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful imagery - i especially like the chrysanthemum smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a lovely, eloquent sonnet, with wonderful images cascading throughout. The closing two lines are just beautiful. A moving piece.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for stopping by and sharing your valuable thoughts.........