Thursday 17 April 2014


   APRIL-17


                                                             courtesy : google image


COLLECTION

I have seen many a home-wall
Where display plays a great role
Creating mood, taste and
A soothing ambience for all
On the door and window pelmet
Of my parents’ home
There are onlyGanesh* idols 
 Even the walls are adorned
With beautiful elephant headed god
Who hangs and swings trunk and a smile
With the bare red paunch and one tusk
He radiates bliss, blessing, myth and siddhi**
I tell ma doesn’t the room look like a shop
With so many Ganeshas in spite of their art value
Ma says would you call your home a bookshop
I remain quiet as I don’t agree
I love a minimalist home (books exception)


*Ganesha (IAST: Gaṇeśa;  listen (help·info)), also spelled Ganesa, also known as Ganapati and Vinayaka is a widely worshipped deity in the Hindu pantheon.[2] His image is found throughout India and Nepal.[3] Hindu sects worship him regardless of affiliations.[4] Devotion to Ganesha is widely diffused and extends to Jains, Buddhists, and beyond India.[5]
Although he is known by many attributes, Ganesha's elephant head makes him easy to identify.[6] Ganesha is widely revered as the remover of obstacles,[7] the patron of arts and sciences and the deva of intellect and wisdom.[8] As the god of beginnings, he is honoured at the start of rituals and ceremonies. Ganesha is also invoked as patron of letters and learning during writing sessions.[9][10] Several texts relate mythological anecdotes associated with his birth and exploits and explain his distinct iconography.

**Siddhi is a Sanskrit noun which can be translated as "perfection", "accomplishment", "attainment", or "success".[
 courtesy : wikipedia

Posted for Ella’s prompt Poem a Day: Creative Walls @ Real Toads

             

11 comments:

  1. You really made me picture this, and also feel the relationship between mother and child. Great write!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can say that again, Sumana,Even I hate cluttered walls....they take away the aesthetic part of interior designing.
    The last lines made me smile....LOL..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm like your mom, Sumana. My walls are covered with wolves and elephants! Stuff to look at everywhere. My daughters are like you, they prefer a minimalist look. It seems to alternate with each generation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right. I never consider books 'collecting' or full bookcases 'collections' ...because they are books, as essential to a writer as air. If your mother's Ganeshas are as beautiful as the one pictured here, the wall must be wonderful.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! I wish I could see- I love elephants and your poem shares the magic of allowing our imagination to collect in your words!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a beautiful write! so creative and imaginative...yet full of details of your home/life. also really enjoy the details of the mythology and the stories behind your poem. thanks for sharing!

    stacy lynn mar
    http://warningthestars.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. books are the exception for me as well...i rather like minimalist...
    funny side note, the first time i ever heard of gnesha was in a comic book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, books are an exception. I need to embrace minimalism...I have waaay too much stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so true, Sumana - of the things one loves.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ha ha… yes, I do understand.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is a tradition of wall decoration in almost every culture and age. I believe decoration stays passive-if action is the response only then it becomes meaningful-great contrast poem.

    ReplyDelete



Thank you for stopping by and sharing your valuable thoughts.........